Vinesh M. Varghese
Civil and Commercial Litigation | Defamation | Banking
Vinesh graduated from the University of Northumbria with a LLB (Honours) degree. He was admitted as an Advocate & Solicitor in the High Court of Malaya in August 2009. Having completed his pupillage at Raja, Darryl and Loh, he was retained as an associate in August 2009. After a stint at Bodipalar Ponnudurai De Silva, he joined Teja Singh Penesar & Co in July 2012 where his practice primarily involved commercial and civil litigation, defamation, banking and corporate drafting.
- LL.B (Honours) University of Northumbria, Newcastle (2006)
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya (2009)
- Handled contested corporate banking disputes for major banks including United Overseas Bank (Malaysia) Bhd, Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Bhd and Malayan Banking Berhad at both the High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Acted for the National Union of Bank Employees (“NUBE”) in relation to trade disputes and judicial reviews of legislative decisions.
- Acted as co-counsel in a successful defamation suit brought by NUBE against the New Straits Times Press (M) Berhad. (See – Kesatuan Kebangsaan Pekerja-Pekerja & Ors v. The New Straits Times Press (Malaysia) Berhad & Ors and Another Suit  2 MLRH 492).
- Acted as counsel for ECM Libra Investment Bank in obtaining judgment for margin shortfalls in excess of RM2 million against a client who had operated a futures trading account with the Bank. (See – ECM Libra Investment Bank Berhad v. Foon Weng Yew & Anor  7 MLRH 534).
- Acted as co-counsel in defending a trademark expungement application. (See – Jost Cranes GmbH & Co KG v. Jost Cranes Sdn Bhd  5 MLRH 793).
- Liaised with the principal of British polo brand POLISTAS in drafting a franchise agreement for the sale and distribution of POLISTAS apparel in Malaysia.
- Drafted a Business Succession Agreement involving the sale and distribution of company assets valued in excess of RM100 million.
- Drafted a Master Sale Purchase Agreement for the acquisition of RM40 million in assets of a distressed Malaysian company by a Singaporean public listed ‘white knight’.